Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Taste of Chicago

Okay. I've officially decided that, barring anything spectacular happening at the laundromat - and I'm talking man-on-fire-running-into-pack-of-nuns type spectacular - I will no longer post pictures of my laundry at the laundromat.


Or, at least not after this one. So what? It's my boxers. Big whoop. These are, by far, the ugliest pair of boxers I own. They came in a 3-pack that I bought a year or two ago, and they were like that crap, useless pair that's shoved in between the other two, much more attractive pairs of boxers. I try not to wear these, but as you can see, sometimes I have to. Ick.

Saturday - The Taste of Chicago

I had never been to the Taste of Chicago until today. And let me tell you this: it sure is crowded there. It's like everyone - and I mean everyone - decided that today would be a good day to have dinner with three million of their neighbors.


One thing you have to give the Taste props for, though, is their waste management. We never had to wait one second to get into a port-o-john. Nice work, folks.

The food was pretty good. Only one major flop that I can think of: the cheese ravioli. Here's "Taste of" menu that Annie and I tried today (in order):

Breaded Steak Sandwich


Rib Tips


1/2 Slice of Watermelon


Fried Cheese


Gatorade - Lemon Lime


Budweiser


Breadstick stuffed with mozzarella cheese


Eli's Famous Cheesecake


Funnel Cake topped with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup


Budweiser, Bud Light, & a bottle of water

I liked the rib tips the best, though the fried cheese was pretty good, too. I was saving room in my stomach for the funnel cake, but was increasingly annoyed at how difficult it was to eat with a crappy plastic spoon. Annie loved the watermelon. The breaded steak sandwich was good on the first two bites, but the taste wore on me the last few. I didn't have any pizza while we were out. Or tacos, for that matter. What's wrong with me?


A parting shot of the city skyline from Grant Park. It was nice to sit back and relax and let the wind blow over us this afternoon. Eventually we got up and walked from Grant Park to Annie's parents' condo on Michigan Ave. and then back to the Blue Line stop at Clark/Lake. My legs definitely got a workout.

Off to bed now. Didn't quite finish Eats, Shoots and Leaves last night. It turns out it's a bit longer than I thought it was. Heading to my parents tomorrow for various birthday parties, and for my sisters' going-away party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home