Sunday, June 18, 2006

My Father's Day

I woke up this morning at my in-law's house. I was alone, except for Rainer, who was alternating MA-MA-MA-MA's with this little half-giggle, half-scream he does when he's waking up.

See, we went "camping" this weekend.

And one thing about me that is without question is that I am not the outdoors type. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like air. I like Wrigley Field when it's almost dusk and there's a breeze. I like bar-b-ques and outdoor parties and the like.

But I'm not a huge fan of camping, especially when it's 95 degrees outside.

And Rainer doesn't like it either. My sweet boy. He refused to stop crying on Friday night, causing me (with this like totally killer fake disappointed look on my face) to have to take him back to the in-law's house (where the A/C was cranking for the three beagles who live there----don't get me started on the fact that the dogs were sleeping better than I was).

So my weekend of "camping" was mostly spent: shuttling Rainer back and forth b/w campground and house (about ten miles, but we're talking rural, two-lane highway miles, the kind of driving man was intended to do); sitting and watching TV in the A/C while Rainer took 2-4 hour naps (MAN IS SOCCER BORING; MAN IS WALL STREET A DATED MOVIE; MAN DO THE CUBS SUCK; MAN DO THE CUBS SUCK PART 2; MAN DO THE CUBS SUCK PART 3); sleeping in a bed with sheets and a fan while everyone else slept in tents and miserable clusters of daddy-long-legs and gnats.

I think Rainer might just be the greatest thing to ever hit the streets. It's like when I'm down or need him to come through for me, he always does. He's like the anti-Aramis. Or the anti-Prior. Imagine when I can start telling him to do things and he'll listen. Rainer, Daddy needs you to pretend that watching the Cubs game with daddy is more important than Daddy taking out the garbage.

Pics forthcoming. Having a 56K modem puts a damper on PHOTOBLARGing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home